Regional Meeting of the Gender and Environment Working Group for Latin America and the Caribbean
Environmental degradation and climate change exacerbate inequalities and poverty. But while climate change affects all people, it does not affect us all in the same way, or to the same extent, nor do we all contribute equally to its effects.
It is this point that we must understand in order to visualise the differential impact that climate change has and that it confers according to gender: to the extent that the tasks of production and reproduction of life are carried out by women, it
is they who find themselves in a situation of greater vulnerability to changes in environmental conditions.
In this regard, ?line 6 of the EUROCLIMA+ Programme, "Gender and Vulnerable Groups", cooperates with the countries of the Latin American region to incorporate gender equality and promote inclusiveness, integrating the perspectives of groups in situations of vulnerability, indigenous peoples and local communities, to support the fulfilment of commitments under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
In this context, the EUROCLIMA+ programme supports the organisation of the "Regional Meeting on Gender and Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean", which aims to build capacities, promote South-South cooperation, exchange experiences, map the needs of countries in terms of gender and climate change, identify potential proposals on gender and climate change, and adjust the Group's 2022 - 2023 work plan.
The meeting will take place on 24-25 March 2022 in Panama City, and is organised by the Presidency of the Group, headed by the Ministry of Environment of Chile, the Technical Secretariat of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), and the EUROCLIMA+ programme, through the International and Ibero-America Foundation for Administration and Public Policy (FIIAPP).
OPEN EVENTS AGEND
Day 1 Thursday, 24 March 2022
08:30 - 09:00 am
Opening and Welcome
- Maisa Rojas, Minister of Environment of Chile, Chair of the Gender and Environment Group.
- Jacqueline Álvarez, Regional Director and UNEP Representative for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Inma Zamora, Secretary General of the FIIAPP. Amelie González, Secretary General, Miambiente de Panamá.
- Adolfo Campos, Head of the Political Section of the European Union Delegation in Panama.
- Moderator: Cecilia Castillo, Director of Climate Governance EUROCLIMA+ FIIAPP.
09:00 – 09:30 am
Presentation of the Gender and Environment Working Group of Latin America and the Caribbean and results 2021 - 2022, to reveal the framework of the Group, the Decision No. 7 of the Forum of Ministers of Environment of LAC and the main results of the Group.
Speaker: Javiera Zárate, Chair of the Gender and Environment Group
10:00 - 10:30 am
Presentation of results of the Regional Meeting on Climate Change and Gender Equality 2021
- Speaker: Javiera Zárate, Coordinator of the Meeting and Chair of the Gender and Environment Group
Day 2 Friday, 25 March 2022
08:30 - 09:10 am
Presentation of Thematic Study 21: Study on women's access to green jobs in Latin America
- Speakers: Lourdes Fernández and Lourdes Álvarez, FIIAPP consultants.
09:10 - 09:50 am
Mainstreaming the Gender perspective in Panama's Energy Transition Agenda
- Speaker: Rosilena Lindo Riggs, National Under-Secretary for Energy of Panama, Energy Secretariat of the Ministry of the Presidency.
09:50 - 10:30 am
EUROCLIMA+ Gender and Environment Experiences
- Speakers: EUROCLIMA Partners (Gender Committee of the Programme)